OECD – STRING launch in Malmö June 11 2021
On June 11th, 2021 from 10.00 – 13.00 the OECD and STRING are launching a new OECD-STRING policy paper featuring 23 policy recommendations on how we can re-build Northern Europe as a green megaregion. At a time when the COVID-19 crisis has accelerated a willingness to change behaviours and put ambitious policy reforms in place for a more sustainable future, cooperation between all levels of government and across borders is essential.
The paper is the result of a year-long multi-stakeholder policy dialogue culminating in the development of 23 tangible policy recommendations targeting local, regional and national governments and the megaregional level to create a future-proof megaregion from Oslo to Hamburg. The purpose is to foster green investments, accelerate the green transition, attract skilled labor, champion sustainable transport infrastructure and maintain a high level of quality of life.
At the conference, the OECD and STRING will present the strategic paper. Furthermore, speakers from all levels of governance and representatives from the private sector will comment on the OECD policy recommendations and provide their input on how we can accelerate the green transition in Northern Europe.
- The Prime Minister of Sweden, Stefan Löfven, will provide welcoming remarks by a video-greeting.
- The Swedish Minister of Business, Industry and Innovation, Ibrahim Baylan, will open the OECD-STRING launch.
- Deputy Secretary-General of the OECD, Ulrik Vestergaard, and Minister-President of Schleswig-Holstein, Daniel Günther, will present and comment on the OECD-STRING policy paper.
- The Danish Minister of Climate, Energy and Utilities, Dan Jørgensen, will comment on specific recommendations via a video- greeting.
- The Norwegian Minister of Transport, Knut Arild Hareide, will join by a video-greeting and Espen Barth Eide, Member of the Norwegian Parliament, and Jakob Dalunde, Member of the European Parliament, will discuss how we assure an accessible and connected megaregion.
- Chair of the Board of Danfoss, Jørgen Mads Clausen, and CEO of Volvo, Martin Lundstedt, will discuss how it benefits the private sector to position Northern Europe as a Green Hub.
- The Mayor of the City of Malmö, Katrin Stjernfeldt Jammeh, and the Chair of the Capital Region of Denmark, Sophie Hæstorp Andersen, will provide a local and regional perspective on how to implement the recommendations.
- Former European Commissioner for Climate Action, Connie Hedegaard, will moderate the event.
Time and place
The conference will take place online on June 11th, 2021 from 10:00 – 13:00.
To sign up
You can register by clicking HERE.
About the OECD-STRING partnership:
STRING and the OECD have joined forces and developed a joint OECD strategic paper focused on recommendations that have been a common and recurrent feature of past Territorial Reviews carried out in the STRING region. It is the culmination of a year-long, multi-stakeholder process to identify the main challenges and opportunities for the future of Northern Europe through four seminars in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany.