OECD – STRING launch in Malmö June 11 2021
The OECD and STRING are hosting a conference launching a new OECD-STRING strategic paper on how we can re-build Northern Europe as a green megaregion. At a time when the COVID-19 crisis has accelerated a willingness to change behaviors and put ambitious policy reforms in place for a more sustainable future, co-operation between all levels of government is essential.
The paper is the result of a year-long multi-stakeholder policy dialogue culminating in the development of 23 tangible policy recommendations targeting local, regional and national governments and the megaregional level to create a future-proof megaregion from Oslo to Hamburg. The purpose is to foster investment, attract skilled labour, champion sustainable transport infrastructure and maintain a high level of quality of life.
At the conference, the OECD and STRING will present the strategic paper. Furthermore, speakers from all levels of governance and representatives from the private sector will comment on the OECD policy recommendations and provide their input on how we can accelerate the green transition in Northern Europe.
The preliminary programme:
- The Prime Minister of Sweden, Stefan Löfven, will join by a video-greeting.
- The Swedish Minister of Business, Ibrahim Baylan will open the OECD-STRING launch.
- The Deputy Secretary General of the OECD, Ulrik Vestergaard, and Minister President of Schleswig-Holstein, Daniel Günther, will present the OECD-STRING strategic paper.
- The Danish Minister of Climate, Energy and Utilities, Dan Jørgensen, will present a national contribution to accelerate the green transition in Northern Europe.
- The CEO of Danfoss, Jørgen Mads Clausen, will comment on the framework conditions needed to foster the development, production and export of green technologies in Northern Europe.
- The Mayor of the City of Malmö, Katrin Stjernfeldt Jammeh, and the Chair of the Capital Region of Denmark, Sophie Hæstorp Andersen, will provide a local and regional perspective on how to implement the recommendations.
- Former European Commissioner for Climate Action, Connie Hedegaard, will moderate the event.
- Additional key actors will introduce their perspective on how we can use sustainable transport infrastructure as a tool to reach climate goals.
Time and place
The conference will take place online on June 11th, from 10:00-13:00, 2021. More information will follow.
To sign up
A finalised programme and speakers will follow – but you can already register by clicking HERE.
About the OECD-STRING partnership:
STRING and the OECD have joined forces and developed a joint OECD strategic paper focused on recommendations that have been a common and recurrent feature of past Territorial Reviews carried out in the STRING region. It is the culmination of a year-long, multi-stakeholder process to identify the main challenges and opportunities for the future of Northern Europe through four seminars in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany.